Saturday, June 23, 2018

Do You Want to Make a Quick Connection?

As a presenter, the fastest way to connect with your audience is to show off your five F’s. When you reveal your failures, flaws, fears, frustrations or firsts with your listeners they can see that you have struggled, just like them. Authenticity is a fast track to connecting with people.

When you talk about how you dealt with your five F’s, you give the audience hope that they can also overcome their failures, flaws, fears, frustrations and firsts.

The first time I stood in front of my entire high school, to introduce the speaker at the 1973 Honor Society induction ceremony, the podium was almost taller than me and the microphone stood slightly above my gold granny glasses. I was so afraid that the butterflies in my stomach would fly out of my mouth; I rushed through my introduction and ran off the stage.

My first public speaking experience wasn’t any better for my audience. They could barely hear my soft voice, with the microphone so high above my mouth, and my monotone message was truly forgettable. I have no idea what I said that day!

But your five F’s do not have to make your audience feel sorry for you. Give them a glimpse at what it took to overcome your failures, get comfortable with your flaws, push past your fears, come to terms with your frustrations, and get better than your first attempt.

How did I go from 17-year-old butterfly girl to presentation coach? Well, I’ve invested time and money into improving my public speaking skills. After more than 10 years of training in Toastmasters International, I have taken classes, been certified as a World Class Speaking Coach and given speeches for the last 15 years.

With practice, training and coaching you can get comfortable enough on stage to connect with any audience. Let them know what it took to look like a winner—your five F’s!

For more presentation tips, like the Better Speaking Skills Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/BetterSpeakingSkills/)

No comments:

Post a Comment